Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Dad.

"The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love." Psalms 103:8

I've been thinking a lot about my dad. He turned 76 in September. We had a big shindig last year in Lake Tahoe for his 75th birthday. So glad. We were all there. Siblings. Spouses. Grandkids. Cousins. Aunts. Uncles. Nephews. Nieces.  It was a very sweet weekend honoring a very dear man. No man enjoys his family more than this one. He has such tenderness towards each one of us. Being together is his favorite place to be. We have a giant family with a gigantic love for one another. He's in the middle of it all. Dearly loved, admired and appreciated.


 He raised us 4 McCarthy kids WELL.  Just a remarkable father.  I called him daddy. He called me Kymmie Dee. Compassionate. Slow to anger. Abounding in love. Quick to laugh and hug. Game for adventure & fun. A fireman. A fixer & builder. Electrician. Plumber. Mechanic. Craftsman. You name it. He can do it. The one we could always count on. He came through. Left for work in the mornings happy & singing. Came home at night the same. We knew what to expect. He taught us about hard work & commitment. You always finish what you start and you do it with a good attitude. He showed us what it means to serve others unconditionally. If someone needs help YOU help them. I've never known anyone who is a bigger helper than my dad. He's kinda famous for that. A more generous & gracious man you won't find. Loyal to family and friends like none other.

I could go on& on. So many qualities that make him extraordinary in my eyes. The thing he did BEST though....the thing that has made the biggest difference in my life....he LOVED me.  He loved us. Honestly, all those growing up years...when he had 3 teenagers in high school at the SAME TIME..it takes some kind of super hero to manage that. I never felt anything but completely loved & adored & accepted by my dad. I didn't question it. Never yearned for it. Never sought his approval. It was just THERE. To this day. No matter what. I'm beyond grateful & deeply blessed. My dad's love has shaped me. Given me a steadfastness. A sureness. His unconditional love is the reason I know I am loved & adored by God. Without question. My heart was primed to be accepting of the greatest love of all. Heaven on earth.

Tom McCarthy is a beautiful soul & a gorgeous human. He's a generous patriarch to our entire gang. I'm hoping some of his goodness & generosity of spirit rubs off on me and the generations to come.  Being his daughter is one of the happiest, sweetest & deepest joys of my life. I couldn't be more proud. If I could choose any daddy in the world. I'd pick mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment