Sunday, August 3, 2014

grace.

"They will be like a tree planted by water who sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; it's leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit." Jeremiah 17:8

Thirty years ago jeff and I planted a little baby tree called 'us'. We were too young & naive to understand the needs of that fragile little thing. We were distracted. We were lazy. We were selfish. Five years of marriage and our tree was a pitiful twig. Not a leaf or root to be found. I remember how I felt. I was 27. Lonely & sad & convinced I married the wrong guy. I loved him. I wasn't IN love. All the big feelings were gone. I wanted OUT. I thought he might be relieved. I thought he might feel the same. He wasn't. He didn't. We counseled together. We counseled separately. We needed some clues& tools. We had neither. We had no clue how to talk to each other. No clue how to listen. No clue how to resolve anger. No clue how to really love. We didn't know how to water our little baby tree. To give it healthy roots. To give it a chance to grow and flourish. We got help. Year six of our marriage we used the tools &clues given and practiced. We practiced&practiced. We keep practicing. Every single day we practice. We practice the little graces of staying&listening&loving. Slowly&surely&quietly our little tree grew.

Tomorrow morning when the sun comes up we'll celebrate 30 years of marriage. That's a lot of days of grace.  My soul is amazed by it. Charmed by it. Deeply grateful for it. This little baby twig of a tree called 'us' grew up. She is beautiful&flourishing. Life-giving&sheltering. Her roots are deep. She's a place of hope&respite. Strong&safe. Shady&sure. She's the story of God. The story of ordinary miraculous lessons learned&practiced. She's the story of grace.

Happy Happy Day to my Prince. The love of my life. You who've made all my dreams come true. Thanks for staying. Here's to thirty more years of GRACE.❤️








1 comment: